Monday, March 28, 2011

Chocolate Golf Ball Favors

In searching for golf themed items I stumbled across this site (www.countrykitchen.com) that has a TON of great ideas and all the supplies you need to make those ideas a reality! I loved the idea of these chocolate golf balls for favors for the party. I've never made any chocolate goodies myself but thought I'd give it a try!


To make the golf balls I ordered all the supplies listed on the site (super white coating-merckens, squeeze bottle, two golf ball candy molds, and 30 truffle boxes). To make them I:

1. melted the chocolate (a 1 lb bag was enough chocolate to fill ONE candy mold tray...so it made 1/2 of 8 balls)
2. poured the chocolate into the mold. At first I tried to pour the chocolate into the squeeze bottle then squeeze it from that into the mold but what a joke! It's MUCH easier to melt the chocolate in a large class measuring cup and just pour directly from there. It's also important to make sure no chocolate gets outside the edges of each ball mold or it'll be stuck there and it's a pain to scrape it off later
3. put the mold in the freezer. I waited over night but you can probably just wait a couple hours-they freeze pretty quick
4. to make the other side of the ball you first remove the now frozen halves from the molds (CAREFULLY they break pretty easy). Then melt chocolate again and refill the molds. CAREFULLY (lots of things to be careful about with this project) place the already frozen halves on top of the melted chocolate halves and place back in freezer. You want to make sure a bunch of chocolate doesn't overflow all over the trays or you have a mess and a not-so-ball-looking-ball once it freezes. But at the same time you want to make sure there is ENOUGH chocolate for the pre-made half to cling to or you'll have holes in your ball!
5. Once frozen they are done! Mine never looked as good as the one pictured but they were cute enough for favors for the party. They were more expensive and time consuming than I planned so I'm not sure I'll do them again...but if I do I probably will not be doing a 3D thing like this as I think that made it even more complicated and tough!

I topped the truffle boxes with custom stickers I had made at Chickabug on Etsy!
They turned out cute and were a big hit for sure!

3 comments:

Heather - Chickabug said...

Emily, this is the coolest thing!! I've had so many people asking about the golf ball favors - I know they'd love to hear your tips. I'll have to send them your way! : )

Megan said...

Hey girl!!
I came over here because for some reason Disqus isn't letting me comment on your Parenting blog, which makes me very sad!! I let it slide the first time it happened earlier this week, but now I've missed a few posts and I don't like being the absentee reader! I want you to know I'm still reading :)

I hope you have an amazing Mother's day and that your men treat you like a princess!! Looking forward to hearing about Bermuda!

Golfshop said...

The multi-layer golf balls are smaller inner core surrounded by an outer core, like a three-piece ball. This is then surrounded by a thin blanket and cover. The multi-layer balls are generally more expensive, and is suitable for more experienced golfer. They generally have much better control and feel around the greens, additional spin, but do not move up, and are less forgiving of the hooks and slices.Also, their performance affects the temperature, distance and overall performance deteriorated at temperatures below 20 ° C.