Thursday, June 10, 2010

Magic Breakfast

Growing up as a picky eater my mom found her own ways to sneak nutrition into my diet by making "Magic Malts." I'm still to this day not exactly sure what was in them but I know it included Minute Maid OJ, bananas, and green beans...but hey we drank 'em!

My version of a "Magic Malt" comes in the form of oatmeal. Kye started out eating cereal like most babies and he still eats oatmeal just about every morning. He loves it and it's good for him! I've started adding things to it to make it more nutritious (and delicious?!?) and it "sneaks" in two servings of green vegetable, 2 servings of grains, and 2 servings of fruit! Here's a picture of his typical breakfast:
Ready to hear what it includes?
  • 1/4 cup Gerber oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/3-1/4 container of Gerber stage 2 green vegetable (either peas or green beans)
  • small my size handful of frozen peas
I heat the first four ingredients in the microwave for 25 seconds then stir and add:
  • 1/4-1/3 of a banana
  • 1 prune
  • pieces of either apple, peach, or pear
Sound good? Kye LOVES it!!!  I sometimes will add Cheerios to the mix too if it's too runny. And ANY fresh fruit will work if I don't have apples, peaches or pears! Got any ideas of other goodies to add???

No comments: