Thursday, June 10, 2010

Apple Breakfast Bars

I got this recipe from Wholesome Toddler Foods and it's really great! It "sneaks in" healthy nuts, grains, and plenty of fruits! If you use Mott's Meadley's Juice then you're also getting some vegetables in there too!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup flour (whole wheat if you have it, I didn't)
  • 2/3 cup dates, chopped
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup orange juice (I didn't have orange juice so I used apple...I think they would have stuck together better if I'd had the orange. And next time I plan on using Mott's Meadley's to get in some vegetable!)
  • 1 1/2 cups raw apples, shredded
Directions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 375
  2. Combine all ingredients, let stand 10 minutes
  3. Press mix into an 8x8 baking dish and bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes..
  4. Cut into bars while warm and serve hot for breakfast or a snack 
  5. Freezes well. I put in a freezer safe bag and get one out when needed for a snack and heat in microwave for 25 seconds.
Result:
This is a Kye favorite food! Of course, I wish there was a vegetable in there somehow (but the Mott's adds it so I feel better about it!) but again it makes for a nutritious snack. I have offered it at breakfast but since our normal breakfast uses vegetables I typically keep these for snack time. The dates were TOUGH to chop up and I may try to find some already chopped or shredded next time if they make such a thing. Overall though it's a pretty easy recipe and they hold up VERY well when frozen!

1 comment:

Danielle Phillips said...

I made these yesterday but used dried pomegranate intead of the dates because due to my lost in the desert location I could not find dates anywhere and the sales associate at the store looked at me like I just asked for alien parts or something! They turned out great and Clayton begged for them all day...my only concern is the sugar and preservatives since they were the bagged/dried